Tuesday, July 29, 2008

To Speak Up or Not to Speak Up

To Speak Up or Not to Speak Up

A few months ago, I decided to follow up on an old insurance claim. Since I filed the claim in April of 2004, no one from my former insurance company’s claims department had ever advised me of the status of the claim. I felt the company did not play fair with me on this. And the insurer of my car did not reply to my recent reminder either. As a last resort, I wrote to its president instead. As expected, within weeks I got a call from the company’s customer services representative. She apologized profusely on how badly the company had handled my claim. She also advised me that a settlement check was in the mail. Now after four long years we can finally put this case to rest.

By all means, my experience in this case is not unique. I am sure many others also had to deal with their insurance companies for various reasons. Normally I do not make a fuss or "speak up," so I can get what I am entitled to. I do believe, though, we should treat each other fair and square, particularly if we are on the giver-side of the service equation. When we get whatever we have bargained for, then none of us will have to "speak up" to get what we deserve.

However, in this case, it pays to "speak up." - Ayee

No comments: