Tuesday, September 23, 2014

There is no free lunch in life (II)

Believe it or not! It is happening to us simple folks.

This morning when I phoned my bank, after the dial-tone instead of the normal greeting that I am used to, a woman’s voice on the line offered me a $100 gift card from various known retailers. To get this gift, I was asked to put through a $1.95 charge on my credit card. Normally we would hang up telemarketing calls right away, but this time I stayed on the line THINKING OF WHY MY BANK would engage in giving away gift cards. Since I did not want the gift card, I pushed the "#" key as instructed. Now I do not know if by doing so, I have compromised my telephone number and bank account.

However, I did report this creepy incident to both my bank and the telephone company.  Now we know there are some smart people out there who would piggy back their phone number on ours uninvited. - Ayee

No comments: