Thursday, August 18, 2011

A Big Machine for A Small Job

Recently, I went to a neighborhood laboratory for some blood works. It was the same lab I visited about six months ago. With pleasant staff and efficient services, this testing office had certainly impressed me as a well-run services provider.

When I was there the first time, its waiting room was teeming with people. The room not bigger than an average size of a family dinning room was Spartan but functional. To register our presence, we pull a triangle-shaped paper tab from a small pear-shape red box on a metal stand. It is the same kind of device many businesses and medical clinics use to check in their clients.

My second visit to the same lab was a painless one too. In twenty minutes or so, I was called to sit facing the same big and bright windows. Before I realized what was taking place, the gentle technician had already got what she needed. And I was out there in about 30 minutes.

However, since my last visit to this lab, its waiting room has been enlarged to twice the size of the previous one. It has also acquired a new numbering machine. By its entrance now stands a tall and bulky black box. Apparently, this electricity-powered metal device has replaced the old manual one. A paper tab exactly like the one from that little plastic red box drops down as soon as someone pushes a large red button on the chest-high fixture. While the color of this new contraption matched the color of the chairs in the room, a large computer generated sign hung over the face of the machine may have ruined whatever the aesthetic appeal this new equipment has to offer.

I hate to be opinionated. But in the age of conservation, do we really need an electronic device to pull a little paper tab for us? - Ayee

No comments: