Saturday, November 13, 2010

Horse Business

Over the last few weeks, there were a lot of media coverages on a female racing horse. Due to their bigger physique, it appears that mares do not run as fast as their male counterparts. That is why the six-year at 1,200 pounds Zenyatta is so impressive. She made history in thorough breed racing. Her curriculum vitae, besides enjoying a strong and dark beer a day, include a record of winning all 19 races in which she had entered. Her jockey said of her a fierce horse on the track but a gentle soul off the course. Last week at Hollywood Park, California, she added another Breeders’ Cup pennant in her crowded trophy case. She finished her illustrious career with a second place in that race. Now, as I heard, she is to retire from racing to concentrate on motherhood.

The winning story of this special horse reminded me of the days I was at the oval.

There was a time when I thought rooting for the horses I had picked was fun. The fun doubled if the ones I picked also won. But after I read in the papers on what some ruthless horse owners did to their injured racing machines, sort of like boycotting, I quit betting on horses for good. The terrible stories of burning the stables down to collect insurance money on the dead horses are something I can never bear and tolerate.

Years ago, "60 Minutes" had a story on the US government’s Land Management Department. This government agency was allowed to round up mustangs in the West. Sadly, instead of getting the corralled creatures adopted to good families, many of them were shipped to slaughter houses in the most deplorable and inhumane manner. Since lately there was not many news on that government branch’s horse gathering activities, hopefully, the Land Management Department has since made their business a humane and caring one.

Now, Zenyatta have an extra Guinness for me! - Ayee

No comments: