Sunday, May 9, 2010

A Super Mom

There is a no better day than Mother’s Day to remember a super mom.

In the spring of 1997, upon my return from a holiday, I found my feline family had grown again. Not only I got one extra kitty but a pregnant one. I bet when the mouse was away the cat played. After a Found ad failed to find this purring machine’s owner, I kept her and named her Purdy.

Luckily, care for an expecting queen was not a hard task. Purdy also got along with the other cats well, particularly Sweetie. Finally on the B-day, actually it was in the wee hours of the night, Purdy brought me the most precious gifts in the world: four helpless kittens. Voila! She managed to give birth to bundles of joy without a hitch. At the time when I discovered what Purdy had just accomplished, her newborns had already latched on their mommy feeding. Their deft mother also left their birthing place spotless clean.

During the ensuring weeks, Purdy fussed over the newborns 24/7. The kittens were in shipshape conditions. They became more and more appealing by the day. When the babies were still blind, Purdy hid them in different places. Once the kittens could see and negotiate their own little steps, their dear mom would round them up on the floor like what Lassie did to the sheep on the farm. When my other cats were near, she would chase them except Sweetie away from her pride and joy. Sweetie, a neutered tom, sat proudly by the kits as a surrogate dad. The sight of her lying on her side nursing her four little furry bundles was so soothing to watch. It also brought comforting feeling in me.

Motherhood and raising children are complicated and taxing matters. But for a devoted mom like Purdy, it all came naturally. Raising four kittens at once was a piece cake for her.

Sadly, Purdy is no longer with us. Our super mom disappeared from our home six months ago. I still had no clue as to what had happened to her. But for the good old time’s sake, I am here to wish her a happiest Mother’s Day. Purdy, our super mom, do come home soon! - Ayee

No comments: