Sunday, December 13, 2009

Tales of Two Stores

Recently, I needed a new television. So I visited a couple of stores in the neighborhood. One is a well-established department store where I did most of the shopping in the past. The other is a new kid on the block that had just opened at its present location for a short time. It is a big box specialty retailer that sells both brand name and generic electronic equipment.

Like it was in the past, I started my search for what I wanted at the department store whom I know well first. The afternoon of a chilly day was also a perfect time to shop in a warm and invitingly decorated store. I walked around the store’s displays of many television sets, big and small. While the selections there were somewhat limited, I did find one I liked. But to my utmost surprise, there was no salesperson in the department to help me and a few others buy what we wanted. Like the other five or six would-be customers I walked away from my favorite store’s electronics department empty handed.

At the specialty store across the street, I got a very cheerful welcome at the entrance. I also found a similar-made television set there quickly with the help of its knowledgeable staff.

Now I know which store to go when I need a few electronic gadgets. - Ayee

No comments: