Sunday, July 26, 2009

Cooperation Instead of Confrontation

It is surreal to hear that a prominent academic got himself arrested by his neighborhood police officer. If Professor Henry Louis Gates, Junior, a Harvard scholar, were cooperative and more emphatic to what Sgt. Crowley was trying to do, this incident would undoubtedly conclude amiably to everyone’s satisfaction. I would think the respected prof would have more know-how under his sleeves to defuse a touchy situation. It also appears to me that no one in his neighborhood knows him and vice versa. But his neighbor did what concerned neighbors do. She called the police to protect his property.

This unsavory incident also reminds me of a classmate I had in a research course.

Our prof assigned me to work with an African-American student who was also a teacher on a reporting project. We were scheduled to meet the prof at an agreed time for further instruction on the specific reference materials that we could get from the library. For reasons unknown to me, my partner went to meet our prof before our appointment. Then when I got to the library looking up the reference item, the page with the details we needed was not there. Someone had cut it from the nicely bound book.
To this day, I still can not fathom why someone would destroy a perfect library book. And I will be very worried if that someone happens to be a teacher.- Ayee

No comments: