Thursday, May 7, 2009

Miracle Workers

Even though I did not bond with my mother well, I bear no bad feeling toward my late mother. I am sure she had done her best for me and my siblings when we were kids.

But if I were given an opportunity to choose my own mother, I would opt for a mom who does not work outside of the family home. It sounds selfish as many loving and nurturing mothers are also very capable and well-educated individuals who can be successful in their chosen career. But for the kids it is definitely a comfort knowing that their mom is home.

Now thanks to the feminism and equal-opportunity movements, many mothers take up employment outside of their home. And there is a word coined for the working moms who juggle both their career and family well. These "supermoms" are miracle workers. After a stressful day at the office, mothers still have to take care of the insurmountable amount of household chores at home. By having a career, working mothers are burdened themselves with extra responsibilities for the family. For this reason, despite my preference of having a stay-home mom, I think working mom deserves an extra Mother’s Day. - Ayee

No comments: