Sunday, November 16, 2008

Bushy Tail Clowns

The antics of our back yard squirrels never cease to amaze me. They make me laugh. They are clowns. They also remind me of a pet squirrel I had when I was in grade school.

My dad bought me a little grey squirrel at a tourist shop on route to a birthday party in the country. My relationship with that squirrel was painfully short. It bit me when I tried to play with it. Then it escaped a few days later from a wire cage that I had set up for my new pet. Even though I did not have a name for it, I do think of this ill-fated squirrel now and then. To this day, I still wonder what had happened to it.

I think it is wonderful now we still can see squirrels, a variety of birds, raccoons, and even skunks roaming freely on their own in our backyards or public places. The sighting of these lively animals in a natural setting outside of cages or zoos makes me realize how foolish and inhumane I was when I removed a wild squirrel from its lush habitat to a treeless city as a pet. - Ayee

No comments: