Monday, December 26, 2011

Divine Intervention

A few months ago, by accident from a book* I read, I learned of another thirteen-century Franciscan monk. It was suggested that praying to Saint Anthony can help us find lost items.

Incidentally, that book is about how a distraught family found their lost puppy in a remote wooded area. During the searches for its little dog, the family’s ordeal in losing a pet became a community’s challenge. Total strangers offered their unconditional assistance to find the reddish-color dog. A few of the good people whom the family met on scouring the area where their strayed pup was last seen asked the family pray to Saint Anthony. And the story of finding Huck did end well to everyone’s satisfaction.

Not long after I read of Saint Anthony in Huck, I did put what I learned from that book to good use when I misplaced my personal items. I resorted to Saint Anthony on many occasions when I was not able to locate keys, eyeglasses and some other trivial personal articles. And soon after my plead for the patron saint's divine intervention, the lost items reappeared.

The other day at the mall, before heading home, I discovered I had left my favorite jacket behind in the mall. After I exhausted the logic that helped me trace my whereabouts in the busy mall, I remembered to ask Saint Anthony for help. Eureka! By the time I made the beeline the second time to the mall’s Lost and Found department, a beige-color jacket was on the counter there waiting to be returned to its rightful owner. - Ayee

*Janet Elder, Huck, 2010

No comments: