Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Food for Thought (V) - Food Allergy

Recently, a case of acute urticaria (hives) got my attention to what I eat when taking antibiotics.

It all started in the middle of the night when my sweet dream was interrupted by some unbearable itches. Thereafter, some reddish patches on me spread like a wild fire. While medicated talcum powder, aloe vera and calamine locations did give me some reliefs, I was determined to figure out what has caused my skin to irrupt into red itchy splotches!

Quickly, I narrowed down to the new antibiotics I took that day for a cat bite. Not many hours after I took a blue-colored capsule, my very first one, the outer layer of my body exploded. We all know some antibiotics do cause rashes. Based on my past experiences, it would take more than one dose for the rashes to surface. And my switching to another antibacterial drug did not help either.

Then I remembered what some elderly family members had told us in the past. They said that seafood can cause itchy skin. I have also learned that sometimes berries can give us havoc too.

It looks like seafood, fresh berries and antibiotics do not complement each others well. On that memorable night, I did have my favorite fish for dinner. Making a bad situation worse, while on a different antibiotic, I snacked on bowls of natural yogurt topped with those juicy raspberries. - Ayee

No comments: