Sunday, May 29, 2011

Food for Thoughts (II)

Recently, I rediscovered a perfect snack in popcorn. For years, I have deprived myself of this simple pleasure. In addition to its nutritional value, the puffed up corn kernels are delicious and are very low in calories. No matter how the cloud-like popcorn is seasoned, it is always a welcoming treat. Moreover, a cup of plain corn kernels has only *27 calories. Corn is also a good source of fibers and many other beneficial nutrients including protein and Vitamins.

The other day, I decided to get some new crunchy snacks. So this armchair-golfer would have something different to munch on while watching the PGA competition on television. A bag of white cheddar cheese popcorn seemed to fit the bill. I do realize store-bought ones may contain too much salt and extra fats. But I am certain this healthy snack will not harm my body and spirit if I choose carefully for what I buy and I do not overindulge myself on them. Since corn is a veggie, consuming some popcorn now and then will definitely help me add more vegetables in my simple diet.

Popcorn is an inexpensive treat too. It does not break our piggy bank when we decide to pop a batch of the crunchy morsels ourselves. A half cup of corn kernels in a few tablespoons of cooking oil can yield a bucketful of the fluffed up goodies. This perfect snack has also being used in making cakes, granola bars and even Christmas decorations.

Now let us get ourselves some tasty popcorns and be aMAIZEd - Ayee

* From Frances Towner Giedt’s POPCORN!,1995

No comments: