Thursday, April 28, 2011

Feathered Apes (II)

The other day I got a pleasant surprise from a neighborhood crow.

On that beautiful sunny day, I decided to visit a friend across town. My friend lives in one of the more pleasant neighborhoods in the City. With lush mountains as its backdrop, it sits not far from an inlet by the blue sea. And there are always wild birds including crows swooping up and down around the many tall trees in the area. When I was about a couple of blocks from my destination, I could smell the fresh and crisp spring air from the sea.

Armed with good direction, I found the right street with no fanfares. But the lamp post on the corner of that street, not like the others, bears no road sign. Based on details on hand, I made a right turn on that unmarked block any way. While searching for my friend’s home, a flock of blackbirds flying noisily above me. Finally they settled down on a tree a few houses away. I also saw one lone crow perching quietly on the top of a low metal gate down the road. It was the only gate on the block had a live bird on it. And to my greatest surprise that gate opens to the house I was looking for.


After I told this nebulous incident to my friend, I learned their home is a bird-friendly one. The mistress of the house always has goodies for wild birds visiting their bountiful back yard. Therefore, there are always birds, particular crows, hanging around the house. This somewhat explained why sometimes there would be crows sitting on their gate welcome visitors! - Ayee

No comments: