Tuesday, October 21, 2008

My Old Chemistry Teacher

Over the last several weeks, I had the pleasure taking some writing lessons at a local community college. Unfortunately, the course did not offer exactly what I was looking for, I dropped out after six weeks of instruction. It disappointed me because I was truly looking forward to becoming a student again.

And back to school brought me many fond memories of my old teachers. They inspired me to learn. From them I acquired invaluable knowledge.

I remember one particular high school chemistry teacher who also happened to be our home-room teacher. It appeared she was a perfect match for the class. She terrified us. My class was made up with about 60 kids who were not keen learners. We were not troubled kids. But we were no book worms either. At that time we all thought our home-room teacher was an old mean bat. And none of us ever thought about going to college after graduation. But her acting like a drill sergeant in a boot camp transformed us all.

In our senior year, we studied hard so we could get into a university of our choice. We not only earned nearly perfect marks in chemistry. We also did well in other basic subjects like math and English. Many thanks to her, nearly everyone in our class passed the exam and entered university after graduation. What an accomplishment that is! - Ayee

1 comment:

Peter said...

Ayee, I love your Blog and the insight it provides. Can you tell us about when you guys grew up in China and the invasion by the Japanese?