Friday, September 19, 2008

A Neighborly Tom

A few days ago, a kind person shared with me a story of her precious friend.

While shopping at a nearby store, at the pet supplies section I saw an elderly woman getting a package of treats for cats. The kind of morsel makes cats zoom through walls and jump up to second floor balconies.

When I walked by her, she said to me cat treats are costing more now. Then with a gentle grin on her face she told me she does not own a cat. She buys the kibbles for a neighborhood pussy. It visits her from time to time. She spoke of her furry friend fondly. According to her, her good-natured four-legged visitor has many "human qualities." This roaming Casanova seems to understand how she feels.

In the past, I had also been told other stories on cats who enjoyed lasting friendship with lonely or sick people. In one of the stories, the cat cuddled up with a bedridden cancer patient next door during the day while its owners were away. Many of the cat owners might have wondered what were their pets doing during the days when they were home by themselves. Now we know at least some of our cats held day jobs working to bestow unconditional love to our neighbors.

What a wonderful story! I am pleased this kind lady shared it with me. - Ayee

No comments: